Hypo’s can be very unpredictable and can affect everyone in different ways. Here are a few of the hypos i’ve experienced.
- Stuck: My train of thought just remains paused on the last thing I was doing, the last thing I was thinking about or the last thing I was talking about. I find multiple ways to talk about the exact same thing over and over again.
- Mrs Jekyll Mrs Hyde: I have a complete change in mood. I become completely enraged. I definitely become more vocal and extremely irritated. The strange thing is, I can hear myself but can’t stop myself. I have no control over what I’m saying.
- Zombified: This is the type of hypo, where I can’t do anything at all for myself. Thank god this type of hypo has only hit me a few times. I usually have an outer body experience, whereby I can hear everything that is being said to me but I can’t respond in sentences. My brain, my mouth and my body just won’t coordinate, so instead I produce a sounds which resembles that of the living dead lol.
- Is it me Or is it hot in here?: With this hypo, I feel as if the temperature in the room is above 30 degrees Celsius and raising. What follows next is me asking other people in the room, “Why it’s so hot?” Again I can become quite vocal.
- Pins and needles: My BS level has come back up very slowly and what I’m left with is my tongue feeling as if it’s tingling and numb.
- Where did that hypo come from? I decide to check my BS level and it’s extremely low but I feel absolutely fine.
- Clean teeth no more: I’m ready for bed, I spend my time brushing my teeth and then check my BS level only to find out its low. This then means I have to eat or drink something to bring it back up pfff!
- Puke fest: With this hypo, I want to eat everything in sight. Resulting in everything been served up together. In that moment anything goes. Jam + a sprinkle of cheese + some gummy bears, a sip of juice, a bite of that pear, oh crackers with Nutella. JUST ANYTHING TO BRING THAT SUGAR BACK UP!!This is something I’ve been working hard to try not to do, because it just means serious rebound BG’s later on.
- Ride, Ride, Ride, Ride, Ride it out! This the new me, where I sensibly correct my BG with 15g of fast acting carbs. These days I usually go with raisins or fruit strip. Honestly, I just try not to over correct the low too much. Although the feeling of waiting for that low BG to come up is awful. I’ve really been trying to hang in there and let it come up without over eating and sending my BG through the roof.
- I’m convinced that I’ve mastered Korean: With this type of hypo, I’m usually watching a Korean drama (Kdrama) and can completely understand it word for word. FYI, I’m still only a beginner when it comes to learning Korean. I watch a lot of K dramas but I guess my brain has stored a lot more than I think it has. Hmmmmm! This has also happened with other languages I’ve learnt or heard.
- Beating drums: I start with a mild headache and then it develops into a severe migraine. My heart is also beating. Is it the usual beat? I have no idea but I can definitely hear it and it’s louder than ever.
- Le vache qui rie (The laughing cow): Let’s just say, I find everything funny. Whatever might be happening, it just becomes funny. SHSL you’re a total loon!
- Pass me that towel please: This is the type of hypo, where I’m sweating profusely, as if I’d been dunked in a swimming pool a few times and come out dripping wet.
These are just a few of the hypos I’ve experienced over the years. What type of hypo’s have you experienced?