Just a few questions to jog your memory with all things diabetes. See how many you can get!
1. When was insulin first discovered and extracted for the use in diabetic patients?
2. What was the name of the first patient treated with insulin?
- Thomas Smith
- Leonard Thompson
- Jonathan West
- James Collip
3. Which year was World Diabetes day recognised by the United Nations?
4. I am an autoimmune disease I attack beta cells in the pancreas, not allowing my victim to produce insulin. What type of diabetes am I?
- Type 1.5
- Type 2
- Type 1
5. Hypoglycaemia is a term used to refer to:
- An increase in blood glucose level
- A stable blood glucose level
- A decrease in blood glucose level
6. What is diabetic ketoacidosis (DKA) a result of?
- Eating too many sugary foods which result in high blood glucose levels
- A lack of insulin, fatty acids being burnt and the production of ketones
- Too much insulin in the body
7. How many people worldwide have Type 2 diabetes?
- 600 million
- 347 million
- 2.5 million
- 425 million
8. Which of these symptoms is not a symptom of untreated diabetes?
- Frequent urination
9. When was the first blood glucose meter invented ?
10. Think of one positive thing you’ve learnt from your diabetes and please share those positive thoughts with me.
I will post the answers later today.